Abortion is a legal option in the state of New Mexico. As with all medical procedures, it’s crucial to understand how they might impact you both physically and mentally. If you are considering abortion, check out our Abortion Safety Checklist first.
Learn more about the different types of abortions and all the possible side effects and risks associated with the procedures.
A medication abortion (the abortion pill) is available through the first ten (10) weeks of pregnancy. Many women believe it is a quick fix to an unplanned pregnancy, but there are risks and side effects to consider.
Medication abortion works through two powerful drugs. You usually take the first drug (mifepristone) at the abortion clinic. It blocks the essential hormone progesterone, causing fetal demise.
The second drug (misoprostol) is taken at least 24 to 48 hours later at home. It causes uterine cramping and contractions to expel the pregnancy from the uterus.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the medications used in medical abortion cause vaginal bleeding and abdominal cramping. They may also cause:
The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) lists the following risks of a medication abortion:
- Heavy Bleeding. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you bleed enough to soak through two thick full-size sanitary pads per hour for two consecutive hours or if you are concerned about heavy bleeding.
- Abdominal Pain or “Feeling Sick.” Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you have abdominal pain or feel weak, nauseous, vomit, or have diarrhea, with or without fever, more than 24 hours after taking misoprostol.
- Fever. In the days after treatment, if you have a fever of 100.4 °F or higher lasting more than 4 hours, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately. Fever may be a symptom of a serious infection or other problem.
It’s essential to know about the side effects and risks associated with any medical procedure beforehand.
How far along you are will determine the type of surgical abortion used.
While there are variations in the different procedures, in general, a surgical abortion works by having your cervix dilated and the pregnancy removed from your uterus with vacuum aspiration (a suction device).
Other surgical instruments are commonly used, such as scraping tools and forceps.
Surgical abortion is invasive and more expensive than a medication abortion.
The Mayo Clinic lists the following common side effects of surgical abortions:
- Bleeding, including blood clots
- Nausea and vomiting
- Feeling faint
In addition to the above side effects, there are risks to be aware of as well:
- Bleeding that’s heavy enough that you need to change pads every hour
- Cramps lasting more than 48 hours
- Pain that gets worse instead of better
- Foul-smelling discharge from the vagina
- Perforation of the uterus
- Damage to the cervix
- Scar tissue on the uterine wall
Before Your Abortion
Make sure you receive an essential pre-abortion screening before making your abortion decision.
The screening includes an ultrasound to determine how far along you are, which will let you know what kind of abortion you are eligible for, and the location of your pregnancy, which will let you know if abortion is an option for you.
We provide no-cost ultrasounds and STI testing to help protect your health and physical well-being. Contact us to schedule your appointment today.
Going to Carenet was such a good decision. I initially only went to get a positive test result so we could share with our family over the holidays. But I went back because the women here are so kind, supportive, and understanding. I don’t have family in this area, and Carenet has been like a trusted sister to me. I go every week now and they have helped me understand what birth will be like, how to care for my baby girl, and what to expect in the meantime. They also have the resources to provide diapers, wipes, clothes, baby shoes, hats, blankets, books, maternity clothes, and SO MUCH more. Carenet is an invaluable resource for any woman having a baby. They are incredibly kind, reassuring, and I’m so blessed to have these women in my life. I would give a 10million/5 stars if I could!!
These ladies are extremely kind and helpful!
Staff is so kind and respectful. If you're pregnant, scared and don't know what to do, this is the place to go.
Care Net Pregnancy Center helped me find healing from my abortion decision many years ago. They are Kind, Compassionate and Caring! The men and women at Care Net truly care for every person that goes through their doors!