Once she’s missed a period, everything can change fast. What happens next may be her decision, but most women really care where their guy is coming from. Make sure you communicate how you’re feeling and your commitment to her in this difficult season.
Here are a few steps to making the best choice for both of you—together.
- Make sure she’s pregnant. Offer to go with her to the appointment for no-cost pregnancy testing and ultrasound to learn more about the pregnancy.
- Learn about your options. Abortion comes to mind first for many people, but as you explore other options, how do you feel? What seems possible?
- Listen to her thoughts & feelings. What excites her? What does she fear?
- Share your thoughts & feelings. If you aren’t sure how to start, say something like “when you told me your period was late, I felt ____, because ____. Now that I’ve had a little time to think about it, and hear what you are saying, I feel ____, because ____.” Consider talking with others who are close to you.
- Let her know how important she is to you. Don’t pressure her about the pregnancy and don’t check out. Instead, commit to exploring your options together and getting whatever help you need to make your relationship better than ever.
- Process what pregnancy means for you & her.
Even if you feel the pressure of everything happening fast, know that you have time and you have options. You don’t need to rush to make a decision. You owe it to yourself and your partner to consider all possibilities and the support and resources available for each outcome.
Contact us to talk with someone who understands. We offer no-cost pregnancy confirmation services (like pregnancy testing, ultrasounds, and STI testing) so you both can learn as much about the pregnancy as possible and make an informed decision.
Going to Carenet was such a good decision. I initially only went to get a positive test result so we could share with our family over the holidays. But I went back because the women here are so kind, supportive, and understanding. I don’t have family in this area, and Carenet has been like a trusted sister to me. I go every week now and they have helped me understand what birth will be like, how to care for my baby girl, and what to expect in the meantime. They also have the resources to provide diapers, wipes, clothes, baby shoes, hats, blankets, books, maternity clothes, and SO MUCH more. Carenet is an invaluable resource for any woman having a baby. They are incredibly kind, reassuring, and I’m so blessed to have these women in my life. I would give a 10million/5 stars if I could!!
These ladies are extremely kind and helpful!
Staff is so kind and respectful. If you're pregnant, scared and don't know what to do, this is the place to go.
Care Net Pregnancy Center helped me find healing from my abortion decision many years ago. They are Kind, Compassionate and Caring! The men and women at Care Net truly care for every person that goes through their doors!